Note: Although this particular post specifically targets Christ Church where I serve, and I know that many who follow my blog do not attend in our physical location, I challenge you, regardless of where you are, to consider how you can be involved in your local church in the year ahead. Feel free to look at the checklist that I included at the end of the article, and then dream, imagine, and listen for where God might be leading you to serve and what new challenges or adventures that God might be calling you toward.
It’s That Time Again
It hardly seems possible, but with youth and adults already back to school, marching band, and football season in full swing, we are reminded that it is also time for us to begin our preparations for our annual Charge Conference.
What does that mean for you?
Well, that means that it’s time for all of us to think about where we can “plug-in” to the work of running the church. Every one of our committees will rotate and as many as a third of their membership will “retire” or take a break. Additionally, there are things that we wish we could do, but never have enough volunteers. And the month or two before Charge Conference is when we spend the most time thinking about these things.
Soon, the Lay Leadership and Nominating Committee will begin meeting. They will be talking about all these things (and more), will contact our current leaders to assess their willingness to continue, and then begin contacting those persons that they think will be able to contribute as next year’s leaders. If you have an interest in serving on any of our church committees, or if you know someone who would be well suited for a position, it would be amazingly helpful if you could tell us. That simple thing saves us time deliberating, calling, and “asking around” as we search for just the right person.
I will also be doing something that may be new to you this year. I have dug up a survey that I created more than ten years ago for our first pastorate. That survey asks a lot of questions and some of them may not apply to you, some may not be things that we are currently doing, but all your answers can be useful during our nominations and as we plan. After all, we can’t do new things if no one tells us that they are interested in doing them. I have already revised it to suit this church better and you will see it at the bottom of this page. Filling it out (and putting your name on it) might seem like a little thing, but as simple as it is, doing so can be a huge help. If you don’t attend Christ Church, you might print it out and hand it to your pastor or whomever is certainly already planning for next year at your church (I bet they’ll be surprised, but also grateful).
I hope that in the days ahead, each person will be thinking about how we might be a part of ministry at Christ Church next year.
How Can You Help?
Please let us know (circle) where you would be interested in serving!
- Serve as Lay Delegate to Annual Conference
- I’d like to____________________________
- I wish our church _____________________
- Bell Choir
- Change church/sanctuary decorations seasonally
- Help to organize special services
- Prepare with communion
- Assist with communion
- Review/Provide feedback on effectiveness of existing worship
- Outreach overseas
- Help with Community Dinners
- Attend Community Dinners
- Go on Missions Trip
- Chaperone Youth Missions Trip
- Local Outreach
- Volunteer at Food Pantry
- Volunteer at Alliance of Churches
- Tell others about Jesus
- Invite a friend to our church
- Create events that attract others
- Find ways of using existing church events to reach unbelievers
Education & Children
- Sunday School Teacher (children)
- Teacher Substitute (children)
- Sunday School Teacher (youth)
- Teacher Substitute (youth)
- Sunday School Teacher (adults)
- Teacher Substitute (adults)
- Vacation Bible School/Music Camp Teacher
- Present Sunday morning children’s message
- Provide care for existing members
- Visit the elderly and those shut-in
- Train members for a deeper faith
- Organize training events
- Remember those who are sick or hospitalized
- Plan church social events
- Maintain membership records
- Record and maintain records of church history
- Keep minutes of important meetings
- Organize/assist with development of church Child Safety policies
- Assist pastor in identifying gifts and talents needed for various committees
- I can wear my name tag EVERY week!
- Operate sound system
- Upload weekly video to YouTube
- Develop computer projection designs for song lyrics/announcements/sermon outlines
- Web page design and maintenance
- Provide technical support and assistance to other ministries
- Church Social Media Team
- Take photographs
- Keep financial books for the church
- Help count Sunday offering
- Provide wisdom/advise/have an opinion on church financial matters
- Identify/Assist with maintenance projects in church building
- Organize work projects in Church
- Anticipate/identify/plan for future needs of church
- Help to welcome visitors
- Help to develop ways to make visitors feel welcomed
- Help to develop ways to attract and retain visitors
- Be a sanctuary greeter
- Be a Welcome Center greeter
- Be a door greeter
Did you enjoy reading this?
Click here if you would like to subscribe to Pastor John’s weekly messages.
Click here to subscribe to Pastor John’s blog.
Click here to visit Pastor John’s YouTube channel.